Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Lighting and paint

So, I found this old Depression-ear wallpaper that I though looked very "little old lady farmhouse"
and I searched for and found stencils that I can use to make the pattern....Martha Stewart Crafts "Tendrils" and "Blossoms"  So, that part will be easy enough. 

So, Gary and I picked a darker color that I would use as the base color, knowing that I intend to then mix white with that color and use a natural sponge texture roller to put a lighter layer on top.  I need to make the walls somehow blend with the scrim covered sections that hide the band. Starting with a dark color then add a lighter tone of the same color over the top will create the inconsistency of texture that you get when you try to paint scrim. So we just dye the scrim with the lighter color and it "should" blend OK. 

Thank god I didn't run out and just buy the paint that we initially chose!

I started to think about lighting again.  This takes place at night in a darkened house with moonlight coming in the windows.  The go-to gels for night and moonlight are blues and Rosco 51 "surprise pink".  The paint color that we chose was a greenish blue, and my instinct told me that something was wrong with that.

So, we set up our little LED RGB flood light and DMX controller, dialed in the approximate color for surprise pink and put the color chip in the light...HOLY CRAP! It was iridescent blue! Yup...instinct was right. So we spread out the Sherwin Williams fan deck, looking for something that didn't glow under blue and purple lights...and found the family of olive greens starting with "rosemary"  These colors grayed out when hit with blue and purple lights...PERFECT!  

On closer comparison to the wallpaper sample, I think that this will make a very suitable, dingy base color for my plaster walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment