Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Refining the design

I wish that I were a genius and could just pull a brilliant design our of my backside the first time without needing to make some adjustments.  But, it just doesn't happen that way.  After a couple of weeks of looking at the sketch that I previously shared, I couldn't help but to think that something was not quite right.  The set seemed out of balance, like something was missing.  It seemed heavy and detailed on the stage left side. The "street" had brick walls, payphone, and the strong vertical of the conceptual tree.  The "apartment side was just furniture against black.
It needed something else to help the apartment to be a little more defined.  And yet, we will need to use this area in other scenes because we have so many people on stage for company numbers. So, whatever I add cannot be interior specific and not even location specific.

I did something that is usually a big no-no for me when I am designing a show. I watched the movie, mostly because I don't really know the show all that well.  A couple of set details caught my eye that are consistent, especially as I recall the set for another current show set in a neighborhood in Manhattan...In The Heights. A roll-up security door and pipes.  

So, I went thru the flat inventory from NOTLD and picked a few components that can be repurposed and repainted. Then designed a roll-up door to fit between them.    Add a few pipes including reuse of the pipe from NOTLD and the stage right side is now stronger.  

Next my attention turns to the posts supporting the fire escape/balcony.  After more studies of the grand ironwork that winds through the streets of NY and Chicago, supporting the transit systems, I realized that there was an excellent aesthetic opportunity.

These have lots of iron brackets and reinforcing plates at joints.  They also have concrete encasement when they set in the street to protect the steel columns from passing cars.  

So, instead of just a basic post, I detailed a cover to go over each of the downstage posts which reflects some of the character.  I hope that, by adding some details like these, the audience will more quickly "buy in" to being in this gritty NYC neighborhood.
We were able to work in the shop last weekend, just before snow-magedon hit. We got the door fabricated and ready for paint and started the post covers. Right now, it is just above 0-degrees in there and I am not immediately inclined to spend a great deal of time at the saw.  But, by the weekend, the temps should be better and we can get a few good days in.  It should be easy to get those finished along with the railings and the rolling door. Then all of those can be painted like rusty metal before moving on to brick walls over the next couple of weeks.

More as it develops...
R


1 comment:

  1. It's difficult to believe that you wish you were a genius....

    ReplyDelete