Friday, January 10, 2014

Progressing...

Today it was a little chilly in the shop so I opted to cut in there and assemble in the art studio where it is nice and toasty.    I have a whole stack of things made, ready to paint to look like rusty steel.

The door is just a cheap, hollow-core luan door. I overlaid the door with a piece of 1/4" luan plywood and then applied 60 halves of styrofoam balls to appear to be rivets holding the panel on.

I make my own frames. This one is supposed to be a commercial door, so the frame is made to look like a metal frame.  The "casing" is only 2" wide and 1/2" thick, like a commercial metal frame.  After having to replace door knob mechanisms half way thru NOTLD, I opted for a full mortise lockest this time around.  Hoping this holds up better, although there will be no zombies pounding on the door and Dowdy will only slam is a few times. :)











The railings are just 2x2 frames with welded wire concrete reinforcing mesh stapled to the back side. These will get mounted between the "I beam" posts that hold up the fire escape.


Laid out on the tables are the decorative covers that will hide the four platform legs on the downstage side. The rest of the legs are hidden under the platforms or behind walls and will just get painted black.  
These covers are the ones that I posted the drawing for previously.

This weekend, I will make the rolling shutter door that I added to the design on the loft apartment side of stage.  Then all of this stuff will get base painted dark gray followed by 3 or 4 additional colors to make all of it look rusty and weathered.  Pics will follow after painting.

I need to get the two window elements made and painted yet. Then all of this can be stacked out of the way to make room to build all of the brick wall panels.  They will take up a huge amount of space in the shop because they have to be carved all at once so that the pattern aligns between panels.

Load in is 5 weeks from tomorrow.  I should be on target to get everything done unless we have another long round of extreme cold that makes being in the shop unbearable...then I will have to regroup.

Till next time...
R

No comments:

Post a Comment