Saturday, April 23, 2016

It's been a big few weeks!

It has been a busy and BIG last couple of months.

In March, we had "American Idiot" onstage at New Line Theatre which ran to sold out houses for EVERY SINGLE PERFORMANCE!!!!

The reviews were wonderful and the show really rocked...literally!

I provided scenic design and fabrication for the show.


Following that, we ran "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" at Stray Dog Theatre.  For this production too, the houses were packed. Michael Baird turned in a stellar performance as Hedwig and Justin Been extracted something really special from this show.

For this show as well, I did scenic design and fabrication, including 10 fake speakers...looked like a Grateful Dead concert!

Again, the reviews and audience reactions were amazing!


Last weekend, while we struck Hedwig, we had "Disney's The Little Mermaid" onstage at Whitfield School.  I designed the set and lighting and Gary painted the whole thing.  It really dazzled...



In addition, on March 21, I attended the St. Louis Theater Circle Awards with Kathleen, Melanie Kozak, and Kate Wilkerson.   I had 3 nominations in the Outstanding Scenic Design for a Musical category; "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" and "Dogfight" at Stray Dog Theatre and "Heathers" at New Line Theatre.  While I didn't win any of them, it got a chuckle out of the audience when they got to my category.

On the amateur side,  last fall Kathleen directed a production of "The Elephant Man" at Looking Glass Playhouse.  It was nominated for NINE AFL Theater Mask Awards, including myself for Best Lighting of a Play, Melanie for Best Supporting Actress, Kathleen for Best Director, and the Best Drama award.  We managed to take home 3 awards that night,  Mitch Ellis-Yapp for Best Actor, Cathy Symonds for Best Costumes, and the Best Drama.  It was a GREAT night!



Thursday night, Kathleen, Melanie, Kate and I attended the St. Louis Post Dispatch GO Magazine List Awards party at the Missouri History Museum.

I was chosen by the readers as the Best St. Louis Scenic Designer.  I have never won a popularity contest before, so there's a first for everything.

Hey, at least it was a free party, with drinks and snacks. :)






So, now on to what's next.

In February, I was hired at Thomas Jefferson School as a fill-in replacement for the arts teacher who taught scenic design and theater tech. This position also has the responsibility for overseeing the design, fabrication and installation of the set as well as the lighting for the spring eighth grade play.  This year's show is "Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None"... where have I done that before???  So, we have a set designed and are in the process of fabricating it.  This happens mostly in class time and during the school day with the kids, so while it is yet something else on my plate, it doesn't necessarily cut into my other professional theater work. TJS's show loads into the gym on Friday, May 13 and is on stage Thursday, May 26 and Friday May 27 at 2PM.  Then we strike that show and put everything away following the final performance.

In the mean time...  we are in fabrication in the shop for "Atomic", the third show of the season at New Line Theatre.  It loads into the theater on Saturday, May 14...yes the day after the show at TJS.  Fortunately, we have a good jump on fabrication, so it shouldn't be TOO big of a scramble to finish things in time for a trailer or two to make their way toe the Marcelle that Saturday by 10AM.

For "Atomic" I am also doing the lighting, so as soon as we get the show loaded in, I have to get my head into lighting.  We hang and focus on Saturday May 21 with cue-to-cue the following Saturday, May 28...again, yes, the day after we strike "And Then There Were None" at TJS.

"Atomic is on stage from June 2 - June 25. On Sunday, June 26, we strike the show. At 6AM on Monday, June 27 Kathleen and I get on a plane for 2 weeks in Europe followed by 4 days in NYC.    I NEED THIS BREAK!!!!!

I just have to get thru June...  of course, I have to load two shows within a week of returning in mid July. So, the month of June will find me designing and building like a fiend so that I'm not dying or letting people down at the end of July.

OH, and Thursday afternoon, I got a panicked call from a long time friend who is directing a production of "Fiddler on the Roof" at Looking Glass Playhouse. His lighting designer had to back out at the last minute and he was desperate. So, next Friday evening and Saturday, I have to whip together a quick design, focus and program cues for him...he goes into tech next Sunday afternoon...

Thus is the life of (to quote Scott Miller) the busiest guy in St. Louis show business.
R

1 comment: